Thursday, September 18, 2008

Rushing to judgment

Popout

Social media has allowed us to criticize faster than the real world actually moves. Where will it end?

Say, a candidate makes a speech.

She says ‘My…’

And the scribes immediately jump.

‘“My?” How selfish, like it’s all about her. What about us, the people you represent?’

The candidate continues.

‘…fellow…’

The critics are in a lather. Just two words into this important speech, and she’s already blowing it.

‘”Fellow?” How pandering. We’re not your friends yet, lady.’

‘…Americans…’

‘Oh right, like it’s all about America. This is a global economy. We can’t afford someone to be so plainly out of touch.’

Yes, I exaggerate.

But only to make a point about the new Microsoft campaign.

Seeing as this is my second post about Jerry and Bill, you’re going to start thinking I either have a sad obsession or an undisclosed stake. I don’t. My problem is the culture of criticism combined with the ability to unleash it rapidly and powerfully.

We’re two films into a sizeable communications campaign and each one has been stomped on by the pundits.

Let it breathe. Enjoy.

And if you want my punditry, I say film number two is a very enjoyable piece. It’s Bryan Buckley at his finest.

I can’t wait to hear the speech in its entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment